Support the ongoing development of Laravel.io →
Installation Configuration Requests
Last updated 2 years ago.
Solution

From memory, it just means you have an issue somewhere. Usually a missing controller or syntax error. The reason you are getting html is because Laravel is assuming your debug is set to false.

If you edit you app/config/app.php file (also check if you have app/config/local/app.php). Take a look near the top for debug and set to true.

You could the. See the issue and fix from there.

Hopefully that should fix it for you.

Thanks for the info. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

thanks for the starting point, T2theC. The more I've played around with this, the more confused I am. Here's what I've done and figured out:

• I set debug to true in app/config/app.php (I have additional app.php files in dev and local but those are both set to true). After I did this I still see the error page both when running an artisan command and on the front end.

• Nothing is showing up in the error long around these errors (though other things are)

• When I manually set the $env = 'production' in bootstrap/start.php, I see the same issues, error page showing with artisan commands and on the front end. The really strange thing is when I manually set $env = 'dev', the artisan commands work BUT if i run php artisan env it comes back as: Current application environment: production, yet on the front end it still shows the error page despite debug set to true across all environments.

I'm really not sure where to go from here. It seems like there is something wrong with not only the debug setting but also with the environment in the CLI vs. through the browser.

Figured out part of it! My current production site is on Elastic Beanstalk and uses env vars like $_SERVER['RDS_HOSTNAME'] for RDS. I overlooked the fact that I was overriding the database.php in config/production/database.php.

It still doesn't solve the problem with why debug = true doesn't work in production but at least I can move on for now.

Thanks again for the heads up!

Check to see if you are overriding the config in a production/app.php

Sign in to participate in this thread!

Eventy

Your banner here too?

cityzen cityzen Joined 14 Jul 2014

Moderators

We'd like to thank these amazing companies for supporting us

Your logo here?

Laravel.io

The Laravel portal for problem solving, knowledge sharing and community building.

© 2024 Laravel.io - All rights reserved.